System Administration Engineer
Mission and Responsibilities:
The Systems Administrators / Engineer needs to thrive in an ever-evolving environment and take ownership of key
pieces of our Systems (Systems, Servers, and applications) puzzle to deliver impact in areas that drive new
partnerships, monetization, and growth. They will design, build, implement, upgrade, and monitor On-Premises
and Cloud systems, follow cybersecurity practices. Use applications and tools that drive these initiatives forward
and, in time, will document and own the systems and applications they build, while becoming a domain expert in
The ideal candidate will be responsible for partnering with Network Security and Systems, Engineering, and business teams to understand our needs in conjunction with systems and security strategy. They will be responsible for managing systems and security end to end – from getting involved in exploration, to launching the products, operational support, work on projects and everything in between be a part of our Secured Managed Services (SMS) practice.
The role requires a strong technical skill set along with excellent interpersonal skills. The focus of the job at ICS is always Excellent Customer Service.
Key Responsible Areas:
- Day-to-day, this role will involve installing, configuring, and maintaining systems and tenant environments including responding to faults at hardware and software levels, as well as analyzing and monitoring the systems to enhance the productivity of the users.
- Handles software and hardware support and maintenance, upgrades, installations, and operations of all Operating Systems (OS), and applications. Assists in the design, deployment and maintenance of all OS based systems including web servers, Act as a liaison with outside systems vendors to obtain service and support for supporting systems.
- Analyze, Design, implement, troubleshoot, and perform upgrades on various Active Directory forests and domains along with preparing and updating baseline documentation.
- Leads major systems projects to support capacity growth, upgrades and new products/features, and integration.
- Knowledge of debugging and tracing tools, such as strace, ltrace, and ptrace.
- Experience implementation and troubleshooting Azure Remote Applications or Citrix XenApp/XenDesktop and VPN Clients.
- Provide orientation to new users of existing technology.
- Train staff about potential uses of existing and new technology.
- Provide individual training and support on request.
- Provide recommendations about accessing information and support.
- Maintain current and accurate inventory of technology hardware, software, and resources.
- Ensure long-term requirements of systems operations and administration are included in the overall information systems planning and maintenance.
- Develop and promote standard operating procedure. Conduct routine hardware and software audits of workstations and servers to ensure compliance with established standards, policies, and configuration guidelines.
- Provides in-depth technical expertise & direction in the development and support of client area application systems/programming requirements and processes (e.g., new, enhancements or maintenance), in the preparation of application system specifications, and in the development, testing, and implementation of efficient, cost-effective application solutions.
- Maintain log and/or list of required repairs, maintenance, and asset disposal. Make recommendations about purchase of technology resources.
- Perform System Backups and periodic verification.
- Review, validate & enhance design, conduct performance monitoring and capacity planning; install, test and upgrade releases and associated products and participate in the planning of these activities/efforts. Including Patch Management on Systems and Applications.
- Conduct investigation activity/research and give technical advice to the adoption or integration of new technologies and their business impact. Evaluate & recommend new software, utilities, and tools. Set the strategy for implementing new technologies.
- Should work very closely with the teams and as such need to have a good all-round understanding of networks and systems.
- Must be able to gather, organize, and present data demonstrating the state of services, including key performance indicators, program and project state, quarterly reviews, audit results, and proper data in support of budgetary investments.
- Ability to function in a fast paced, somewhat ambiguous environment, balancing numerous activities simultaneously.
- Once settled into the role, the position may be asked to join our call-out Rotation providing 24x7 support for our key services as well as covering both planned and unplanned out of hours work as required.
- All other duties assigned by Senior IT Staff or the CIO.
Documentation and Reporting:
- On-time documentation of issues within RMM, ticketing and ERP we work with.
- Perform Customer follow-up and feedback.
- Running historical reports to identify reoccurring service disruptions.
- Document problem resolution and processes.
- Assist with on-boarding of new clients and users.
- Document baseline configurations and policies.
- Bachelor's Degree and at least 5 years of experience in On-Premises and Cloud Systems.
- At least 4 years of experience in Systems design, planning, and implementing scalable, highly available, mission critical Server infrastructures. Identity and Access Management.
- At least 4 years of experience with Microsoft 365 & Google Workplace Administration.
- At least 3 years of experience with Virtualization and Cloud technologies from Microsoft Azure, VMware & Hyper-V administration.
- Experience with Microsoft Windows Server infrastructures support for basic roles. (AD, DHCP, DNS, File, Print)
- Experience with project management (for example: planning, organizing, and managing resources to bring about the successful completion of specific project goals and objectives).
- Knowledge of networking technologies such as TCP/IP and related protocols.
- Certification: Azure Certifications
- Experience in IAM solutions such as Active Directory, VDS, SSO, SAML, oAuth, OpenID, MFA, and PAM.
- Experience in Cloud technologies, including Microsoft Azure, Amazon AWS, and Google Cloud.
- Experience in automation, such as PowerShell, Perl, Python, or .NET development languages
- Experience in OS AuthX Support for Windows Server, as well as Linux Server.
- Skills: Strong analytical decision making and problem-solving abilities.
- Skills: Strong interpersonal communication skills and ability to collaborate and communicate effectively with technical and non-technical teammates. Gives and receives good feedback to improve their own performance and to help teammates grow.
- Skills: Thrives in a dynamic environment with rapidly evolving objectives and sometimes ambiguous requirements with the ability to work autonomously and make decisions with minimal supervision.
- Behavior: Endlessly curious - Passionate about expanding areas of expertise, learning new ways to do things, and understanding why things are the way they are-loves to get to the root of the problem, no matter where the problem leads. Resourceful and creative when executing on solutions.
- Ability to maintain absolute confidentiality of sensitive files, data and materials accessed, discussed, or observed while working.
Nice to have skills:
- Experience: ITIL
- Behavior: Gets excited, not only about solving technical challenges, but also about being close to the business and go-to-market strategies.
- Skills: Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Skills: Strong customer service and interpersonal skills.
- Skills: Attention to Detail.